The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(12/16/08) #27 - SECRET VILLAGE OF THE SPELLCASTERS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: (12/16/08) #27 - SECRET VILLAGE OF THE SPELLCASTERS Reply with quote

SECRET VILLAGE OF THE SPELLCASTERS

FIELD SPELL

TEXT: "If you control a Spellcaster-Type monster and your opponent does not, your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards. If you control no Spellcaster-Type monsters, you cannot activate Spell Cards."

HARV'S REVIEW

This Field Spell card isn't the best out there...but I think it rank's somewhere in the top 10. To even consider running this this card, you need a full-blown Spellcaster deck. Our beloved DMoC is gone for now, but there are other good/great Spellcaster's out there to make a worthy deck. Also, you need your Spellcasters to be on the field in face-up position, otherwise it is not know that your monster is a Spellcaster...so, no Apprentice Magician...no Old Vindictive. Gravekeeper's Spy is still a goody though. But still...that Spellcaster deck is getting a bit harder to make. But, look what your getting for your efforts!: The possibility of totally thwarting the activation of your opponents Spell cards! Think about that for a second.

Simply put, just about every deck depends on Spell cards to push a player through to victory. Destiny Draws, Allures, Emergency Teleports, Card of Safe Returns, Solar Recharge, Heavy Storm, Brain Control, Mind Control, Monster Reborn, Book of Life, ETC...!!! Stopping an opponents Spells from being activated can definitely cause' havoc to game. Major disruption actually.

Again, a big condition to making it all work though is having a Spellcaster face-up on your side of the field. Mostly, that should be easy enough. Especially with a little protection...maybe from Wobuku's, or Threatening Roars. You'll want to be a little Trap Heavy anyway, because if by chance you don't have a Spellcaster on your side of the field, you in turn can not activate Spell cards. Yeah...the deck will take some serious dialing-in.

Oh, and let's not forget that if your opponent has a face-up Spellcaster on their side, it will all fall apart. But, outside of Breaker and some occasional Spy's, you probably won't run into that situation very often. Side deck appropriately...more so for the nightmare chance that you play a Spellcaster mirror match. That would bite.

Keep in mind the general "iffyness" to running Field Spells in general too. Maybe someday soon we'll get a monster that will let us search for this Field Spell, much like Warrior of Atlantis searches for a Legendary Ocean.

Spellcaster Deck - 8/10 (dialed)

Art – 8.5/10 (mysteriously cool. Reminds me of a place youd' come across in a Final Fantasy game.)

Last edited by HARV35TER on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Razjah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this card. It won't break the game any time soon, but it will allow for a crazy deck if someone wants to put in the work to get the deck running.

In case you don't know, I'm Erik- the one with the giant bag of decks.
jax4216
noob!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, think of the fun you could have with spell counters! Breaker, Skilled Dark Magician, Magical Marionette, etc. Tempest Magician for a synchro, lots of possibilities here. Search for cards with "spell counter" in their text and a whole world opens up! Maybe I'll try a deck to see how it all works.

HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razjah - I think a deck with these could really screw somebody up. But, unfortunately, it would not be consistent enough or quick enough to hold it's own on a steady basis. Especially against the heavy hitters out there now, like Lightsworn, DAD, etc...

jax4216
- Running this Field Spell would put you at a disadvantage as it is...I don't think youd' want to add to that disadvantage by attempting a counter based Spellcaster deck.

I'd just run great Spellcasters...and if the counters happen, they happen. Like Dark Red Enchanter, Apprentice, Breaker... Avoid Skilled Dark and Marionette like the plague.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Card Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: