The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(11/30/08) #23-CAIUS THE SHADOW MONARCH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: (11/30/08) #23-CAIUS THE SHADOW MONARCH Reply with quote

CAIUS THE SHADOW MONARCH

EFFECT MONSTER (Fiend / DARK / Level 6 / 2400 ATK / 1000 DEF)

TEXT: "When this card is Tribute Summoned, remove from play 1 card on the field. If it was a DARK Monster Card, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent."

HARV'S REVIEW

Although he was given to us at a time when Special Summon's supersede Tribute Summon's, he still is, without a doubt, a great monster. And, he is still universal enough to see a decent amount of play in this format.

Caius has the typical monarch qualities...those being: "I'm a 1 tribute monarch, have a 2400 ATK/1000 DEF, and get something off the field when I'm summoned successfully". But, what makes him still a contender this meta is the fact that he is, for the most part, anti-meta. That is based on his RFP effect of course, and goes hand-in-hand with why most of the Tele-DAD net decks at the Atlanta Shonen had 1 Caius either mained, or sided...to help thwart opposing net decks.

Him being a Dark monster, along with him being able to RFP any card on the field no matter the position (well, actually, having to), enables him to be squeezed right into a lot of deck types played right now. What better way to get rid of a DAD or JD? Not to mention possibly making it a little rougher for those monsters to hit the field to begin with. And, as an added bonus, if you RFP a Dark monster, you do 1000 burn to your opponent. A nice option to have if your opponent is low enough...just RFP your own Caius. Better options for your own monsters would be D.D. Survivor, D.D. Scout Plane, Cyber Ouroboros, and Necroface. Caius can be used with typical Dark "stuff", like: Allure of Darkness, Dark Grepher, Deck Devastation Virus, Darklord Zerato, Armageddon Knight, Escape from the Dark Dimension, etc... No great perks for him being a Fiend really. Regardless though, this guy has a lot going for him. Be wary of sided Intercepts and Pulling the Rug's though.

When it all comes down, he doesn't shine as much as he could have in the monarch days...but he still definitely shines.

Monarch Deck - 10/10

Dark Deck (pretty much any type) - 8-10/10

Fiend Deck - 7-9/10

RFP Deck - 7-9/10

Splashed (appropriately) - 7-9/10

Sided as "anti-meta" ammo - 7-9.5/10

Art - 7.5/10

CHARLIE'S REVIEW

Today we have one of the best of the best Monarch cards, Caius The Shadow Monarch. He is a Dark monster which gives him alot of support namely Allure of Darkness. He is a Fiend monster which gives him a little more support. He has a very solid 2400 attack for a 6 star monster. His defense is small at 1000, not like you would set him anyways though. He requires 1 Tribute just like every Monarch. His effect is just brutal, no wonder why Monarch decks are good.

His effect states when he is tribute summoned he removes a card on the field, and he inflicts a bonus 1000 direct damege if he removes a Dark monster. Dark monsters are everywhere, you would get the bonus burn very often. He can target Spells, Traps, and remove annoying Synchros like the Stardust Dragon. He is abusable with Brain Control and Soul Exchange for +1's in card advantage and field advantage. Caius The Shadow Monarch's effect is really good.

Caius The Shadow Monarch can be run virtually anywhere that needs an extra tribute, he is simply so splashable. In a Monarch deck you should run 6-9 Monarchs, you definitly wanna run 3 of Caius The Shadow Monarch. You can even remove Caius himself late game to finish your opponent off if they are low enough. Caius is the second best Monarch, only second to Raiza.

I say this card is a winner, I am sure after reading this review you would think so too.

Monarch Decks 10/10In my GK Monarch deck, I run 3 of these guys. They run very well. Zaborg move over, you have sadly been replaced.

Dark Decks 8.5/10

Macro Cosmos/D-Fissure 9/10

TeleDad teched 8/10

Art 8/10

Last edited by HARV35TER on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
LizardMan
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent in my review today.
unrulysaiyajin
Magus of the Forums

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Monarch Reply with quote

The more recent monarch decks that succeeded in the last format ran 5 monarchs.
The typical base for Monarchs atm is:

2 Caius
2 Thestalos
1 Raiza

Those decks also ran 2 Prime though, which are irrelevant now.

Top 4 Edison Sept 08

09 Nat's qualified
LizardMan
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Monarch Reply with quote

unrulysaiyajin wrote:
The more recent monarch decks that succeeded in the last format ran 5 monarchs.
The typical base for Monarchs atm is:

2 Caius
2 Thestalos
1 Raiza

Those decks also ran 2 Prime though, which are irrelevant now.

Nice catch Chester I was thinking about the older Monarch decks, but yeah Cornarchs ran 5 Monarchs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Card Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: