The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(11/19/08) #19 - THUNDER KING RAI-OU

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: (11/19/08) #19 - THUNDER KING RAI-OU Reply with quote

THUNDER KING RAI-OU

EFFECT MONSTER (Thunder / LIGHT / Level 4 / 1900 ATK / 800 DEF)

TEXT: "Neither player can add cards from their Deck to therir hand, exceot by drawing them. You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard to negate the Special Summon of 1 of your opponents monsters, and destroy it."

HARV'S REVIEW

The Thunder King kills searchers like Sangan, RotA, etc... He also kills Special Summons like DAD, Judgment Dragon, Wulf...a lot. So, what's NOT to like about him?! Thank god they gave him a decent attack amount. An opponent will need to get rid of Thunder King from the field before like their DAD can hit the field, and that 1900 ATK definitely helps his survival. It appears that he could truly be a nuisance to anybody on the other side of the table that is running search cards, Special Summons, or both...and that's a good thing.

Him being a Light/Thunder monster has some advantages. Guardian of Order just got a little stronger, as did maybe a Batteryman deck running Judgment of Thunder's. Those were quick-grab's...but what I'm saying is that he's splashable, and can really compliment certain decks and cards. He is also a great side deck card. This all amounts to a well rounded monster indeed.

Side Deck Choice - 7-8/10

Splashed In Certain Decks - 7-8/10

Light Deck - 6-7/10

Thunder Deck - 8-9/10

Art - 4/10 (Basic art, kinda' silly looking...could possibly be a good mascot for Champion Spark Plugs)

CHARLIE'S REVIEW

Today we have the promo card from the manga Thunder Kind Raiou. This card has good attack for a level 4 monster. It also has a very low defense of 800 which means even Sangan can destroy it by battle in defense. It is a light monster which means it can be abused with Honest. It is a Thunder monster which doesn't mean much since there is not much Thunder support. This card stops Gadgets, E-Hero Stratos, Sangan, Reinforcement of The Army, Charge of Light Brigade, any of the Field Card searchers, and Goblin Zombie. That is very good since it hurts a large part of some popular decks. This card can also stop a special summon by sending himself to the graveyard, which is ridiculously amazing in this format. This card stops Synchros, Dark Armed Dragon, Book of Life, Judgment Dragon, Zombie Master, Il Blud, and any of the Gladiator Beast Monsters. This is card is really good this format, it is pretty splashable too. You can play it in Gladiator Beasts, Stun, Little City, Counter Fairies, Monarch decks, and more. This card can single handedly bring countless decktypes up a tier. Overall this card is really good, you should try it out, if your on a strict budget and want to make an anti meta deck, you would probably want to run 3 of these.

Stun - 10/10 Fits like a glove.

Little City - 10/10 Fits like a glove.

Gladiator Beasts - 8/10 It sorta conflicts with Rota and Proving Ground though.

Counter Fairys - 8.5/10 It helps this decktype alot too, it is another beatstick which Counter Fairies need badly. It also counters the meta which is what Counter Fairies want to do already.

Monarch Decks - 8/10 It is good in here as well.

In the side deck of virtually any decktype - 9.5/10

Art Rating 8/10 It is pretty cool looking, it reminds me of Thunder Man from The Megaman Battle Network games.

Last edited by HARV35TER on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
vinny1986
Magus of the Forums

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a FYI, Thunder King only stops inherent Special Summons. Ex. Cyber Dragon, DAD, Judgment, Dark Grepher, ect. It CANNOT stop zombie master, book of life, monster reborn, lumina, etc.

Think of it like Black horn heaven, not Royal Oppression

We are Team Fish
Manahawkin, Wall, Forked River and Tuckerton NJ
TomZ1272
Nurgling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHHHH. Ok. I get it now. I was actually kind of confused about that. I wanted to know if it negated any Special Summon, but now I know what it does and doesnt do.

Thanks Vince. :D

Yugioh - Worse than AIDS. :\
LizardMan
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Raiou was worst than I thought.

At least it can still stop a special summon with Skill Drain on the field. It resolves off the field like Exiled.
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that when I wrote the review, thus my examples...although I probably should have mentioned it in my review I guess.

So, my rating stands as it is. Still a very good monster if it can thwart inherently Special Summoned monsters like Van Dagylon, DAD, Judgment, Dragon Ice, Grandmaster, etc...
Crazy Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARV35TER wrote:
I knew that when I wrote the review, thus my examples...although I probably should have mentioned it in my review I guess.

So, my rating stands as it is. Still a very good monster if it can thwart inherently Special Summoned monsters like Van Dagylon, DAD, Judgment, Dragon Ice, Grandmaster, etc...

Why would you want to use it on Grandmaster when it can just retrieve itself?

It works that way for Royal Oppression, so I might be missing something here since Raiou and Oppression are different.
HARV35TER
Nurgling

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just throwing out names of monsters with inherent effects...I imagine one would not want to use it on Grandmaster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Card Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: