The Gaming Geek! Forum Index The Gaming Geek!
Where Heroes Play!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nick's decklists (The Rock, Quick N' Toast)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
Magus of the Forums

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Nick's decklists (The Rock, Quick N' Toast) Reply with quote

Went 5-0 split on Friday, without access to the last 5 cards that were supposed to be in the deck. This is the list I played, but it should have -1 Shriekmaw, -1 Nameless Inversion, +2 Primal Command in the MD, and -1 Firespout, -2 Aven Riftwatcher, +1 Primal Command, +2 Slaughter Pact in the SB.

4 Murmuring Bosk
4 Gilt-Leaf Palace
3 Gemstone Mine
3 Treetop Village
2 Reflecting Pool
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Brushland
1 Caves of Koilos

4 Birds of Paradise
3 Llanowar Elves
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Doran, The Siege Tower
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Chameleon Colossus
2 Shriekmaw

4 Thoughtseize
3 Nameless Inversion
2 Terror
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Profane Command

SB:
2 Damnation
4 Firespout
2 Aven Riftwatcher
3 Faerie Macabre (that's pronounced ma-COB. Not Mac-A-Bray! It's annoying to hear it mispronounced)
4 Bitterblossom

Basically, you're the control deck in almost every aggro matchup, and the aggro in the more controlling matchups. You just get a stable board position with big Green creatures, like Doran or Goyf, and kill whatever they play. A little hand disruption helps to ensure they don't have answers or bigger threats, and you can deal with anything that hits the table. Oblivion makes sure stupid stuff like Chameleon Colossus doesn't hurt you, and Thoughtseize just rips things out of their hand.

Once you've forced aggro to play by your terms, and dragged them into the midgame, you just hit them with stuff. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Boarding plans:

FAERIES:

In: 4 Bitterblossom, 3 Firespout, 2 Slaughter Pact
Out: 3 Oblivion Ring, 2 Primal Command, 2 Profane Command, 2 Nameless Inversion

Why: The key to the matchup is Bitterblossom advantage. Bitterblossom is amazing against them. Firespout kills flying stuff, like their tokens or everything but a Mistbind Clique. Slaughter Pact is a "free" "counter" to Mistbind Clique, you Pact it before a Champion happens so that your lands aren't tapped. Another fun trick is something like this:

Tom champions a Spellstutter Sprite on your upkeep to Clique. You don't Pact it, because Tom's Ancestral Visions is about to come in, and he has no cards in hand. You Pact his Clique during his upkeep in response to Visions so his Spellstutter comes in, and he must counter his own Visions.
It's hilarious to watch.

You take out the Rings, Primals, and Profane because they cost too much and are Sorcery speed to do anything. Even though Ring can hit Blossom, it's bad in the matchup. Nameless goes out because it doesn't kill Clique, and you need to take out something to put in Slaughter Pacts.

REVEILLARK:

In: 4 Bitterblossom, 3 Faerie Macabre
Out: 4 Tarmogoyf, 1 Nameless Inversion, 2 Profane Command

Haha, who ever thought the secret to a bad matchup was boarding out Tarmogoyf? Well, it is. The key to beating Lark is to do it quickly. You don't have enough time to have Goyf do much, and he won't grow quickly in this matchup. He's not worth it to keep in, especially because they have Teferi's Moat after board. Faerie Macabre effectively counters Lark's Leaves-Play ability, and it's uncounterable and free. Profane can get you past a Moat if you don't have an Oblivion Ring, but it's too expensive. They're ok in the matchup, but not great. If you really wanted to keep them in you could board out 2 Colossus instead. He isn't really that good against Lark either.

MERFOLK:

In: 2 Damnation, 3 Firespout, 2 Slaughter Pact
Out: 2 Primal Command, 2 Profane Command, 3 Oblivion Ring

This is kinda like Faeries, but not really. It's not as good a deck as Faeries is, but people still play it because it beats Faeries and Lark. Merfolk taps out a lot for it's 8.5 lords, and to be effective at being the aggro deck they have to overextend, so Damnation just beats them. Same with Firespout, I changed around the manabase a bit to allow a much easier time casting the Red half. They also never expect it, so they'll overextend into it if you don't have a 4th source for Damnation.

Stuff comes out for the same reason as Faeries, it's too expensive to be worth it. This is an easy, quick matchup. They aren't nearly as good at aggro as you are, and they can't control as well as you can. So you have them beat on both parts of the game.

*Also, don't make a stupid mistake like I did on Friday. What do you think happens here?

Nick attacks with a big Tarmogoyf. Ed blocks with Mutavault, but before damage he casts Mirrorweave targeting Mutavault. Nick says "sure," and puts his Goyf in the graveyard.

That ISN'T what the rules say should happen. I didn't realize it until after the game, but Mirrorweave, or other copy effects such as Clone, targetting an animated manland turn everything into an unanimated copy of that manland. Being animated or not isn't a copyable value, you have to pay to animate each creature. My Goyf would have been a tapped, unanimated Mutavault. Both his Vault and my Goyf would have lived. Just a tip for playing against Merfolk - Know how Mirrorweave works.

ELVES:

In: 2 Damnation, 3 Firespout
Out: 2 Thoughtseize, 2 Nameless Inversion, 1 Other Card

You kill stuff. Oblivion Ring their big stupid Pro Black Changeling, or just damn the field away. You have more card advantage than they do, and a much better late game. So all you have to do is stall for a bit and then you win. Thoughtseize is both good and bad in the matchup, so you only take out 2, it's not important. You just have more removal, better removal, and mass removal after board. It's kind of like a shotgun. You just survive the first barrage of Elves, and if you can do that, you win.

UR SNOW CONTROL:

In: 4 Bitterblossom
Out: 2 Terror, 2 Profane Command

They play both big artifact creatures like Razormane Masticore and counterspells. Terror can't terrify machines because they don't have emotions, so they can't be scared to death(what happens if you get scared half to death twice?), and boarding out Profane against counterspells is usually what you do. Bitterblossom makes them draw their Sulfurous Blasts or lose, and many of your guys can shrug off a Blast or two. So it's easy.

RED DECKS(either Noob Deck Wins like I played or some other kind)

In: 1 Primal Command, 3 Firespout(they play Magus!), 2 Slaughter Pact
Out: 4 Thoughtseize, 2 Oblivion Ring

Easy matchup. You've got 4 Finks and 2 Primals in Game 1, how do you lose? After board, you've got another Primal and answers to Magus. I like to play against this deck.

Mono Black Control:

In: 3 Bitterblossom, 1 Primal Command
Out: 2 Terror, 1 Shriekmaw, 1 Nameless Inversion

This is where I wish Mind Shatter was still in my board. Basically, the reason you play 3 Blossom is because of scary stuff like Corrupt. Primal lets you look for Colossus and get rid of Trip Noose or Blossom, or gain life. Terror and Shriekmaw are dumb to leave in against MBC, the whole Mono-Black thing defeats the purpose of these cards. Nameless comes out because there aren't many little guys to kill. You could take out the other Nameless for the last Blossom if you wanted to. I don't get much practise against this matchup on MWS, but every time I played against it I won.

// Lands
2 [TSP] Dreadship Reef
4 [LRW] Vivid Creek
2 [UNH] Forest
1 [TSP] Fungal Reaches
2 [UNH] Island
1 [SHM] Mystic Gate
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [LRW] Vivid Grove
4 [10E] Yavimaya Coast

// Creatures
3 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
2 [SHM] Oona, Queen of the Fae
2 [LRW] Cloudthresher
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [TSB] Wall of Roots

// Spells
4 [SHM] Firespout
3 [LRW] Makeshift Mannequin
2 [LRW] Primal Command
4 [CS] Rune Snag
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
2 [TSP] Mystical Teachings
2 [TSP] Careful Consideration

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
SB: 3 [PLC] Detritivore
SB: 1 [TSP] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
SB: 1 [TSP] Haunting Hymn
SB: 2 [LRW] Wispmare
SB: 2 [SHM] Puppeteer Clique
SB: 3 [TSB] Teferi's Moat
SB: 2 [PLC] Damnation

I'm still really unsure about this decklist, I want Mind Shatter in there somewhere along with Shriekmaw or something like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Geek! Forum Index -> Deck Builds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: